Amy Lippert, NTP
Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles & Ganache
Updated: Mar 8
Rich and bitter dark chocolate truffles that are unbelievably smooth and creamy they just melt in your mouth. These little decadent bites of heaven are made with two simple ingredients and are Paleo friendly and dairy free! So easy to make and enjoy as a truffle or use this recipe for a fabulous ganache for your cakes, cookies, or any dessert you desire!
Did you know that one of the symptoms of a magnesium deficiency in your diet is craving chocolate? Be sure that when you reach for that magnesium and mineral rich bar of chocolate that you are getting one that is at least 70% cocoa and is as clean as you can find!
Magnesium is a mineral that is key in your body's metabolism, smooth muscle and nerve function, protein synthesis, blood pressure, blood sugar regulation, ability to detoxify, and so much more! So eating a high quality bar of dark chocolate that is full minerals, antioxidants, and clean and organic ingredients can be beneficial to your health! Here are a few of my favorite brands of dark chocolate!
Hu Dark Chocolate
And yes, I just gave you all the reason in the world to indulge in a decadent and bittersweet square of dark chocolate!
Why Dark Chocolate is So Good For You!
I love dark chocolate, don't you? And I love to find easy ways to add this delicious and nutritious treat to my diet when I can! Made from the seed of the cacao tree, dark chocolate is full of minerals, antioxidants and fiber, yes! fiber!!
Copper: Essential mineral in the formation of red blood cells and in supporting cardiovascular health and immune function .
Iron: Necessary in the formation of hemoglobin and maintaining proper body temperature.
Magnesium: The fourth most abundant mineral in the body, it support healthy nerve functions, healthy blood pressure, and detoxification.
Manganese: Essential mineral in supporting blood sugar regulation, glucose metabolism, and supporting healthy brain and nerve function .
Phosphorus: Supports healthy teeth and bones, muscle recovery after working out, and detoxification.
Potassium: Potassium is the fourth most abundant mineral in your body and it is an essential electrolyte necessary in nervous system function, metabolism, hydration, and in regulating your heartbeat .
Selenium: is a mineral that is essential in thyroid health, detoxification and helps to make DNA .
Zinc: Essential in digestion, thyroid health, and a healthy immune system.
Soluble fiber : Dark Chocolate is a great source of soluble fiber, the fiber that works to support a healthy microbiome and supports healthy blood sugar regulation.
Antioxidants polyphenols, flavanols and catechins
Polyphenols: A powerful antioxidant tha has shown to have strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties . Studies have shown that the polyphenols found in foods such as dark chocolate, help to support a healthy circulatory and vascular system as well as immune support by promoting a healthy microbiome .
Flavanols: Antioxidants that are instrumental in helping protect your cells from oxidative stress as well as having anti-inflammatory benefits . The type of flavinoids found in dark chocolate are found to support blood pressure health and cholesterol.
Catechins: Also abundant in green tea, catechins reduce oxidative stress and prevent cellular damage and have strong anti-inflammatory properties.
So grab some dark chocolate and let's get cooking!
Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles Ingredients
5.4 oz Can Coconut Cream
10 oz of 70% or higher Dairy Free Dark Chocolate
1/4 cup Cacao powder for rolling
1/4 cup Shredded Coconut for rolling (opt)
10-12 Raw Almonds (opt)
How to make Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles
There are two methods you can use in heating the chocolate and coconut cream for ganache or truffles.
1. If your chocolate is in a bar, cut the bar up into smaller pieces or chunks to melt faster. Then, over a double boiler, heat the coconut milk slightly steaming, but not boiling. Add the chocolate chunks and stir the mixture until smooth and creamy and all the chocolate has completely melted.
2. Add the coconut milk and chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 90-seconds to two minutes. Remove and stir until smooth and creamy and all the chocolate has completely melted.
For The Truffles:
1. Place into the refrigerate for about 90-minutes for the ganache to cool, or leave out at room temperature for about 4-hours. If you refrigerated the truffle mixture, take it out of the refrigerator and leave it out at room temperature for 20-30 minutes to soften up.
2. Set up a small bowl with the cocoa powder and/or the shredded coconut for rolling or any topping you want to roll the truffles in.
3. Using a small scoop or tablespoon, scoop the truffle mixture out and roll into small balls then coating it in cocoa powder. Then place the truffles on a plate adding a raw almond to the coconut coated truffles if you like. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge until ready to eat. Just set out about 10-15 minutes before eating to allow for it to soften a bit.
For The Ganache:
Allow the chocolate coconut cream mixture to sit at room temperature, after you've heated and stirred it, for about 3-4 hours until it has completely cooled, do not refrigerate. Add to a piping bag or spread over your cakes, brownies and other desserts!
If you like this recipe, check these out!
Almond Joy Energy Bites: These delicious energy bites are so tasty you won't believe your tastebuds! Sweet medjool dates and all whole food ingredients beautifully marry in a nutrient packed snack your whole family will love!
Milk Chocolate Avocado Mousse: Silky, smooth, creamy and oh so chocolately, and did I mention dairy free? This decadent vegan chocolate mousse is so simple and delicious your kids won't even realize it's healthy for them!
Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes: Chocolate cupcakes that perfectly pair with this recipe as the icing! Rich and bitter dark chocolate cake with sweet and creamy ganache, need I say more?
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. - Amy
Did you make this recipe? Tag @almond.milk.and.cookies on Instagram and hashtag it #: