Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles & Ganache
Updated: Jan 7
Rich and bitter dark chocolate truffles that are unbelievably smooth and creamy they just melt in your mouth. These little decadent bites of heaven are made with two simple ingredients and are Paleo friendly and dairy free! So easy to make and enjoy as a truffle or use this recipe for a fabulous ganache for your cakes, cookies, or any dessert you desire!
These silky truffles are so delicious lightly dusted in cocoa powder or you can let your taste buds guide the way with other flavors. One of my favorite combinations is coconut and almond, but you could also roll the truffles in Paleo cookie crumbs, finely chopped nuts or seeds, or even ground freeze dried fruits. Let your imagination go wild and customize these anyway your heart desires!
Why Dark Chocolate is So Good For You!
You have probably heard that dark chocolate is good for you, but do you know why? Dark chocolate is rich in minerals, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory properties !
Have you ever craved chocolate? I know many of us have and do! Did you know that craving chocolate is usually a sign that your body is actually looking for more magnesium! Dark chocolate is loaded with magnesium, zinc, and iron, which are all essential minerals!
The cocoa in dark chocolate contains antioxidants called flavinoids, which are phytonutrients found in the plants you eat. There are six primary flavinoids found in our foods and they are instrumental in helping protect your cells from oxidative stress as well as having anti-inflammatory benefits . The type of flavinoids found in dark chocolate are flavanols, which are found to support blood pressure health and cholesterol.
So the next time you're looking for a recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth while gaining some beneficial nutrients, whip up some dark chocolate truffles!
Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles Ingredients
5.4 oz Can Coconut Cream
10 oz of 70% or higher Dairy Free Dark Chocolate
1/4 cup Cocoa powder for rolling
1/4 cup Shredded Coconut for rolling (opt)
10-12 Raw Almonds (opt)
How to make Paleo Dark Chocolate Truffles
There are two methods you can use in heating the chocolate and coconut cream for ganache or truffles.
1. If your chocolate is in a bar, cut the bar up into smaller pieces or chunks to melt faster. Then, over a double boiler, heat the coconut milk slightly steaming, but not boiling. Add the chocolate chunks and stir the mixture until smooth and creamy and all the chocolate has completely melted.
2. Add the coconut milk and chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 90-seconds to two minutes. Remove and stir until smooth and creamy and all the chocolate has completely melted.
For The Truffles:
1. Place into the refrigerate for about 90-minutes for the ganache to cool, or leave out at room temperature for about 4-hours. If you refrigerated the truffle mixture, take it out of the refrigerator and leave it out at room temperature for 20-30 minutes to soften up.
2. Set up a small bowl with the cocoa powder and/or the shredded coconut for rolling or any topping you want to roll the truffles in.
3. Using a small scoop or tablespoon, scoop the truffle mixture out and roll into small balls then coating it in cocoa powder. Then place the truffles on a plate adding a raw almond to the coconut coated truffles if you like. Enjoy immediately or store in the fridge until ready to eat. Just set out about 10-15 minutes before eating to allow for it to soften a bit.
For The Ganache:
Allow the chocolate coconut cream mixture to sit at room temperature, after you've heated and stirred it, for about 3-4 hours until it has completely cooled, do not refrigerate. Add to a piping bag or spread over your cakes, brownies and other desserts!
If you like this recipe, check these out!
Almond Joy Energy Bites: These delicious energy bites are so tasty you won't believe your tastebuds! Sweet medjool dates and all whole food ingredients beautifully marry in a nutrient packed snack your whole family will love!
Milk Chocolate Avocado Mousse: Silky, smooth, creamy and oh so chocolately, and did I mention dairy free? This decadent vegan chocolate mousse is so simple and delicious your kids won't even realize it's healthy for them!
Paleo Chocolate Cupcakes: Chocolate cupcakes that perfectly pair with this recipe as the icing! Rich and bitter dark chocolate cake with sweet and creamy ganache, need I say more?
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. - Amy